Sociable

Monday, November 15, 2010

Having a Very Harry Day

I am currently re-reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in anticipation of seeing the new movie when it arrives in my area this weekend. I admit to being caught up in the excitement with the new theatrical release although I know that it will probably not do the book justice...since most book-to-movies do not live up to the book. Can we say "The Lightening Thief?"

Regardless, I am still looking forward to seeing the movie and am enjoying my re-read. I can get totally lost in J.K. Rowling's series. I've written several articles for Helium about various Harry Potter things including party ideas, gift basket ideas for HP fans and of course reviews. However one of my favorite pieces was a title that appeared on the site, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and its relevance 10 years after publication."

I think about the young readers that are just beginning the series for the first time and smile. Remember how much fun it was to read each book as they came out? How long did it take you to read The Deathly Hallows? I read it on a vacation trip out to Colorado. It was a long car ride, but I never saw any scenery as my head was buried in the book, occasionally scaring my family as I would cry out at an unexpected death or other turn of event. My son, who was going to read the book on the trip back kept reminding me not to give him any spoilers.

I love having a series of books that I can pick up any time and simply start in any order or even just sit down and read a few random chapters. It's like visiting old friends. I like to check in on them occasionally. When I'm feeling in a funk, reading a bit of Luna Lovegood dialogue makes me smile. Wrackspurt, got ya?

So this weekend I will make my way to the movie theater with many others and indulge in a couple of hours of Harry Potter magic. I may even make some homemade butterbeer to have beforehand. As both an avid reader and movie-watcher it's so much fun for me to be able to see some of my favorite fictional characters brought to the big screen.

I leave you today with one of my favorite quotes from the Harry Potter books.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" spoken by Albus Dumbledore in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J. K. Rowling.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment