Sociable

Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Brand New Day

I'm back after a month and I’ve been thinking a lot about change lately. Maybe it’s the onset of spring or maybe it’s simply that my daily routine has stopped being routine. I actually like change, most of the time. And I have been enjoying the variety in my routine but there is something nice about, well…routine. However, when the routine is no longer efficient, then maybe it’s time to make a change or two.

But change can be a bit scary or at the very least unsettling and annoying.

“Those who expect moments of change to be comfortable and free of conflict have not learned their history.” (Joan Wallach Scott)

Change is very rarely comfortable. However, it can be exhilarating or at the very least, mildly exciting. When I begin a new project, I usually get a tingle in the pit of my gut, not butterflies but more like caterpillars dancing a two-step. It’s a giddy feeling that can even produce an involuntary giggle. If these symptoms are not present at the start of a new project or when I’m about to embark down a new path in life, I step back and seriously question if the change is right.

I remember waiting in the bride’s room before I was to walk down the aisle at my wedding more than 18 years ago. The caterpillars had invited over all their little critter friends and were having a raucous disco in my gut, dancing and frolicking. Marriage…a HUGE change that was definitely going to alter my routine. I remember a breathless giggle escaping as I clutched my bouquet and struggled to keep the giddies at bay so I could make it down the aisle.

 “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.”  (Anatole France)

It’s okay (and normal) to be nervous, cautious and/or sad when leaving behind the familiar for something new and untested but don’t let those feelings stop you from taking that forward step. Change can be very rewarding.

So for me these first few weeks of spring will bring about several changes. My son now has his driver’s learning permit (something I will be posting about very soon), my husband is embarking on a life-changing new project and I am leaving behind my comfortable routine to try something new too.

I’ve been plinking away here and there at my WIP for several months but a busy freelance project had me putting it on the back burner. It’s time now to make time to unravel the conversations, scenes and elements that have been swirling in my brain for the last few months. It’s time for moving forward. No more waiting for the right time because there will always be something going on to distract. This feels right because the giddy giggles have been escaping off and on for the last week. 

I leave you today with one of my favorite quotes about change from Mary Englebreit.  

“If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment