Sociable

Friday, August 12, 2011

As the Dryer Turns...the saga continues

When a major appliance decides to stop working it is really frustrating, especially when said appliance is only 5 years old. Quick recap...my dryer suddenly ceased running a few weeks ago. Simply stopped. No lights, no nothing. The warranty had expired one month prior so I had to purchase a new one through Sears in order to get the best deal on a technician and parts. The warranty covers $500 worth of parts AND labor. If we exceed the $500 then they will give us a voucher for $500 to put towards a new dryer purchased through Sears. Except, I don't want a new one. I want mine. I like mine. When it works.

Repair Dude #1 couldn't replicate the problem because the night before he arrived, the dryer miraculously kicked on. He replaced the door latch and left. Repair Dude #2 pissed me off. He insisted that there was no electricity coming in to the outlet and said he couldn't do anything until an electrician took care of that problem. He left. The light still came on inside the dryer so I was pretty sure there was electricity. Repair Dude #3 came. He worked his butt off, argued with tech guys on the phone and actually replaced a circuit board but couldn't get the dryer to turn on. He ordered a new computer board and we made ANOTHER appointment.

When the Hubs came home after Repair Dude #3 he flipped the circuit breaker switch back on and the dryer miraculously worked. Again. (and no, Repair Dude #3 had tried it with the power on.) That was a week ago.

Yesterday was the fourth dryer repair appointment I sat home for. I know I work from home and I'm grateful my work-at-home status allows me flexibility but seriously, this was the FOURTH time my work day was interrupted. And this has become stressful. I just want it fixed and running. It was running but we knew it may stop at any time because nobody seems to know why it broke in the first place or why it kicked back on.

Repair Dude #4 turned out to be Repair Dude #3. His name is Ken and he seems a decent guy. He has exhibited a high level of professionalism and has gone out of his way to try and make me, the customer, happy. As nice of a guy as Ken seems to be, I'm sure if he knew what the afternoon had in store, he would have run screaming from my home.

He was there only moments, when having unwrapped the part that was supposed to make it all better, I hear him say..."oh you are NOT going to be happy."

"Really, Ken. That's not good. What's wrong?"

"They sent the wrong color part." .........well, crap. The computer board that needed to be replaced is behind the buttons and such so the outside of the part is a visible part of the dryer. It's the command center. I have a white dryer. The part was bisque. (actually looked more egg shell but Ken said bisque.) He decides to put it in so we can at least see if that will make not broke any longer. Upon installation he discovers that not only are some of the integral pieces of it crimped and dirty looking, but there is lint in it. Lint! They shipped me a USED part. Seriously?!

Ken gets on the phone and has it out with someone. Explaining all that has gone wrong including the fact that this "new" part doesn't even work as the dryer won't run again. After much debate, a trusted tech that Ken finally gets on the phone tells him it's the wiring harness. Hmmm. I guess that means more parts to order? Remember when I said our warranty only covered parts and labor up to $500? Yep, you got it, we were now officially over. Sigh. I really don't want a new dryer. I just want this one to work. I want it to work and I don't want to have to deal with this anymore.

Ken understands my plight and after much haggling and telling the powers that be on the other end of his cell phone that I was a crazed customer who was now threatening him with a baseball bat, he got everything ordered despite the limit. Thank you, Ken. He is coming back next week to install these new parts. He left the power off and when the Hubs came home he flipped the switch. Guess what?

The dryer kicked on. Sigh. I am not canceling the appointment. Something is not right and maybe after the new parts all the glitches and gremlins will be gone. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please?

***My dryer woes have not derailed my 31 days of Fitness Fun. I'm still working out each day & it's going well. I have alternated running on the treadmill and using the elliptical this week. Tomorrow is a treadmill run while watching "Pride & Prejudice" on DVD. I will run anywhere for Mr. Darcy!






No comments:

Post a Comment