Sociable

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Move it! Move it!

I have been asked how I stay motivated to keep up with daily workouts. When I first began my fitness journey years ago, my motivation was a smaller, stronger, healthier ME. I didn't want to be out of breath playing with my child at the park. I really, really was determined to be fit and keeping up with the daily workouts was not overly difficult.. Don't get me wrong, I had days when I didn't feel like exercising but my Hubs was extremely supportive and always helped me stay on track.

After going through a difficult patch, it was hard to find motivation to keep working out daily. For a while (when we still had a Wii) I did the Wii fit and compared scores daily with a good friend. It was great having a partner to motivate and challenge me. I am extremely competitive so this really worked. Then the Teen traded in his Wii for a Playstation3. Sigh. It was back to the treadmill for me.

One day I was watching the Ellen Show while working my hand weights. She had on one of my favorite actresses, Marisa Tomei. I just love her! Anyway, they were talking about Ms. Tomei's nude scenes in the movie The Wrestler and how she got in shape for them. It was amazing. Check out the segment from the show.

Doesn't that look like fun?! I thought so, and motivated by the segment, I got myself  hoop and tried it out. I never invested in a larger, weighted hoop which is really what you should use if you are going to follow an actual hula hooping fitness routine. Yes, there are special hoops, they are larger than the ones we used to play with when we were kids and they are weighted. I became quite interested in this whole different sort of exercise I researched and wrote an article for Helium.com about Hula Hooping for Fitness.

If you'd like to read more about where to find the weighted hoops and such, here is the link...Hula Hoop Fitness

Motivation for daily workouts can come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and from unexpected places. I've learned over the years that the best thing you can do is to simply keep moving. With that thought, I'm going to leave you today with a fun little ditty....


7 comments:

  1. I'm hopeless. I manage to self-sabotage every fitness challenge I ever undertake. I've got nothing...

    Visiting from the REwind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving exercise at the moment, and love being able to run after the kids now.
    Never have been able to hula hoop though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fun- how is it working out? I am hopeless at exercising (would rather read a book) but if it was something less obvious maybe I could stick with it.

    Visiting from the Rewind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to convince myself to get back into some exercise, but I'm terrible! I always find an excuse not to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could stick at exercise. You feel SO good afterwards. It's just getting the motivation beforehand...

    Visiting from the Rewind

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to exercise daily at the moment. I say trying because I was doing very well for a couple of weeks but the last week, not so much! I haven't tried hoola hooping (not since I was a kid!) but it could be fun?! Thanks for Rewinding. It is lovely to meet you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to get back into fitness as well. Sometimes I feel like it is 1 step forward 2 steps back ... but I just think I have to keep going. I haven't tied hoola hooping either ... maybe this could be a fun addition.

    Found you on the Weekend Rewind!

    ReplyDelete