Sociable

Friday, August 26, 2011

Start of school = a mystery?

Summer has concluded for many of us, our children back in school and our houses disturbingly silent. Well, maybe not so disturbingly. The silence may be a very welcomed time to collect thoughts and have a bit of "mom" time while the wee and not so wee ones are off a-learning.

I love to treat myself during the first week of school to a little extra reading time. I also believe that any time of the year is a good time for reading a mystery, especially a classic Agatha Christie. My favorite Christie book is Death on the Nile. I love the characters, all of them, even the evil ones and I adore how she winds the clues throughout. You can solve the mystery as you read if you pay close enough attention. I've never written a full review of the book because I love it so much and I'm certain what would start out as a 500 word review would turn into a 2500 word essay. This is what I have written on GoodReads.

Death on the NileDeath on the Nile by Agatha Christie

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Death on the Nile has it all, diverse characters, exotic locale and Agatha Christie's famous Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. Christie combines intrigue, romance and mystery during a luxurious cruise through Egypt in a classic whodunit? tale that does not disappoint.


Not very much, right? Nonetheless, if you are a lover of mysteries and have not read Death on the Nile, I strongly recommend the book. It is wonderful. I even enjoyed the movie. The 1978 film featured an all-star cast including Peter Ustinov as Christie's dectective Hercule Poroit. Other notable performers include Maggie Smith, Bette Davis, David Niven, George Kennedy, Mia Farrow and Angela Lansbury.

Check out this 2-minute YouTube montage from the movie. It's a great introduction to the cast.

Have you read any good mysteries lately?





No comments:

Post a Comment